Reasons Why You Must Not Work from Your Bed
Work from home is not a novel concept. The remote working trend has gradually gained currency in several organizations across the world. However, the lockdown has set remote working as the new norm, and this has come as quite the respite, saving one from the morning rush and the hectic commute to work. Besides, one can also wake up closer to his/her work hours.
While some of us have a designated workspace, many wake up and directly work from their beds. As comforting it might sound to plop in the bed with a laptop, here are five reasons why you must not work from your bed:
1. Blurring lines between work and sleep
Beds should be used for their sole purpose – sleeping and intimacy. A clear demarcation of space is necessary for the brain to associate the bedroom with sleep. If you work from the bed, your brain will find it difficult to differentiate between the time to work and sleep.
Besides, in a typical work scenario, you return from office to home where you can relax and unwind. But when the lines between your home and workspace are smudged, you may always feel you are at work.
2. Poor sleep
During any stimulating or stressful activity, the body releases the cortisol hormone, which causes you to stay awake and alert. So even if you have signed off from work and finally unwind, you will find it difficult to relax and get sleep.
Moreover, staring at your computer screen or phone just before bedtime affects your sleep quality. The blue light from the screen reduces the melatonin production, the sleep hormone and thus affects your sleep clock.
3. Poor posture
The bed doesn’t provide enough support for an erect body posture. You tend to hunch over your laptop while working from the bed. And when you sit for long hours in this position, you develop muscle pains and backache. Over some time, this may turn into a severe problem like slip disc.
4. Low productivity
It is tough to resist taking a nap when you snuggle in the bed with your laptop. Besides, if the bedroom is dimly lit, your brain enters a relaxed mode, making you feel lazy and lethargic. Add to it the body fatigue due to bad body posture, poor sleep, low energy levels, and your productivity is significantly reduced.
5. Bad hygiene
Studies suggest that our human body sheds around 15 million skin cells during sleep. This means the bed is a thriving spot for bacteria and is unhygienic, especially if you don’t wash your pillowcases and bed sheets regularly. So if you spend more waking hours on the bed, you are only adding to the bacteria and increasing health problems.
Working from home may sound like freedom from the office routine. However, remote working requires an equal amount of discipline to make sure neither your work nor personal life is hampered. You need to mark boundaries between home and work to ensure a proper work-life balance and mental well-being.
Your first step is to avoid working from the bed if you have been doing so. And here are a few tips to help you:
Tips To Avoid Working From Bed
- Make sure your electronic devices, like laptops and phones, are kept away from the bed; if possible, out of your bedroom. This will differentiate your work from your sleep space and ensure sound sleep.
- Allocate a separate space for work with a comfortable table and desk. The dedicated area will help you segregate work from personal life. Besides, waking up in the morning and working from a desk will mentally prepare you for a workday.
- Try to avoid working in your nightwear. You may not step out of your home. But dressing up for work can help you quickly move into the work mode.
If you follow a remote working routine, you can achieve your work goals without compensating your fun and recreation. Remember, you can only work productively and perform better when you have a healthy mind and body.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: The Monument to the Soviet Army in Sofia was Wrapped
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 238 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria: The Wind is Weakening, Rain possible in the Southeastern Regions
- » Bulgaria: Car with 17 Migrants collided with a Taxi in Sofia
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 311 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Dangerously Windy today as well