Powerful Earthquake Jolts Northeastern India
An earthquake with a magnitude of 6,4 has struck an area in northeast India, posing a serious threat to thousands of people.
The powerful earthquake, which originated in Tezpur, Assam near the Himalayas had a depth of 34 kilometres when it hit Wednesday at 7.51am (local time).
Two aftershocks were also reported within minutes of the initial quake, according to India Today.
An USGS computer estimated a quake of that size in that area could result in over 100 fatalities.
There have not been any casualties or injuries reported.
Shocking videos of the impact have been shared to social media following the natural event, with people saying it caused their entire homes to shake.
"Felt this Massive earthquake here in Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh. The whole house vibrated for more than 30 seconds. Though didn’t cause any damage. Praying for safety of all," one wrote in a tweet.
Videos have shown collapsed walls and shattered windows, while cracks have been spotted in buildings in Assam.
One video shared to Twitter showed water gushing through the ceiling and drenching the inside of a house.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Reuters: Toshiba European Operations Suffer Ransomware Cyber Attack
- » Six Earthquakes Registered in Bulgaria's Rhodope Region in 24 Hours
- » Shooting in Sofia Metro … Follow-up
- » Europol Busts Crime Network Involved in Investment Fraud Run from Bulgaria and North Macedonia
- » Shooting in Sofia Metro, Gunman Dead, Woman in Critical Condition
- » Nine People Killed in School Shooting in Kazan, Russia