Bulgaria: Borissov Set to Run for President
If there is a caretaker government, Boyko Borissov will join in the race for the presidency. This became clear from his words before the journalists who were waiting for him outside the hospital after he was discharged. Borissov did not show up in parliament for a hearing on the Recovery Plan: How could I appear like this, he asked.
Borissov replied to the questions of journalists concerning his running for president and said that he sees no reason to withdraw from politics, given that most people voted for him, his party and the policies they implement.
If Slavi Trifonov does not form a government with a majority of 165 votes, then they are cowards, Borissov commented. Asked why and when their relations had soured, the GERB leader said: "Simply at some point Slavi Trifonov decided to make a party, but I have not decided to make a show yet."
Borissov is confident that a new majority of 165 MPs has already been formed and this is the new behind-the-scenes grouping. He described the new majority as “brutal”.
He is convinced that such synergy and a unanimous vote in the National Assembly cannot be achieved without backstage bargaining.
Borisov said again, as he did years ago: "I do not envy Slavi Trifonov if the mandate is handed over to him..."
A little later, however, in a post, again on Facebook, Borissov denied that he intended to run for president in the upcoming elections at the end of the year: "No, I will not run for president! If they let Radev fight on the political arena instead of them, we are ready to be staunch opponents of this behind-the-scenes cabinet and will meet in new elections, whenever they are!
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Caretaker Cabinet Says Elections Will Cost BGN 57 Million
- » Bulgaria's Security Services Are Currently Beheaded - Caretaker Interior Minister
- » School Students of Grades 7, 8 and 10 Resume In-Person Learning
- » President Radev: Regime of Impunity Is Collapsing in Bulgaria
- » Interior Ministry Secretary General's Dismissed over Police Violence against Protesters
- » Irregular Migration Pressure on Bulgarian Borders Mounting – Interior Ministry