Fidel Castro's Brother Raul Steps Down in Cuba
Raul Castro confirmed he was handing over the leadership of the Cuban Communist Party to a younger generation at its congress that kicked off on Friday, ending six decades of rule by himself and older brother Fidel.
In a speech opening the four-day event, Castro, 89, said the new leadership would be party loyalists with decades of experience working their way up the ranks and were "full of passion and anti-imperialist spirit."
Castro had said at the previous party congress in 2016 it would be the last one led by the "historic generation" who fought in the Sierra Maestra to topple a U.S.-backed dictator in the 1959 leftist revolution.
He already handed over the presidency in 2018 to protege Miguel Diaz-Canel, 60, who ran the party in two provinces before joining the national government.
Castro himself became acting president when Fidel fell ill in 2006 and later in 2011 party leader, launching a raft of social and economic reforms to open up one of the world's last Communist-run countries that later stalled.
Older Cubans said they would miss having a Castro at the helm, although most acknowledged it was time to pass on the baton.
Castro denounced renewed U.S. hostility under former President Donald Trump. Incumbent President Joe Biden has vowed to roll back some of Trump’s sanctions, although the White House said on Friday a shift in Cuba policy was not among his top foreign policy priorities./reuters
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria Expels 70 Russian Diplomats
- » BSP Leader: President Radev's Caretaker Cabinet wanted to Give Weapons to Ukraine, I Stopped the Deal
- » Bulgaria: 66.74% of Vazrazhdane’s Votes in Parliament are in Unison with those of GERB
- » Bulgaria: The President will Not Talk to "We Continue the Change" and BSP for a New Cabinet
- » Bulgaria: “We Continue the Change” will Start Negotiations for a New Cabinet
- » "Democratic Bulgaria" at the Presidential Consultations: It is Important to form a Cabinet with the First Term