Bulgarian Ombudsman Addressed National Assembly on Citizens' Complaints
Bulgarian ombudsman Diana Kovacheva sent a letter to the National Assembly, reminding the deputies that there are important issues within their competence that need to be resolved urgently.
The Public Defender sent a summary of the annual report of the institution (submitted on March 31, 2021 to the National Assembly) to the Speaker of the 45th National Assembly Iva Miteva and the chairmen of the six parliamentary groups - GERB-UDF, There Is Such a People, BSP for Bulgaria, MRF, Democratic Bulgaria and Stand up! Mafiosi out! .
The purpose of the summary is to acquaint them with the problems of the citizens who turned to the institution for help in the past year.
In 2020, more than 13,500 people complained to the ombudsman, and more than 60,000 people received assistance and support.
In the accompanying letter to the summary, Assoc. Prof. Kovacheva summarizes the most important topics of the people's complaints and calls on the MPs to synchronize their agenda with that of the citizens.
For example, Kovacheva files complaints about violated electoral rights and the need to change the provisions of the Electoral Code. Next, she points to the acute problem of domestic violence and recalls that she has repeatedly brought it to the public's attention, but it has not yet found its effective legislative solution.
She also draws attention to the need to build a modern system of juvenile justice. The reform of juvenile justice in Bulgaria continues to be at an early stage, the ombudsman stressed.
Kovacheva notes that the largest share of all complaints received by the institution are related to violated consumer rights. Among them, the most numerous are the complaints about the poor quality of the water supply and sewerage services in the country.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria's PM: Let's not turn Schengen into a Bargaining Chip
- » No Shots were fired at Migrants from the Bulgarian side of the Border - shows Joint investigation with Turkey
- » The President: Bulgaria has every Chance to join Schengen next year, let's not Politicize the Topic
- » From 8 am to 12 pm: Borissov changed his position on the Paper Ballots 3 times
- » "We Continue the Change", BSP and "Democratic Bulgaria" will not support a GERB mandate
- » Bulgaria: Protest blocked the Russian Ambassador and the Russian Metropolitan in Sofia