Eight Dead after Mass Shooting in Indianapolis, US
Eight people have been killed and many injured in a shooting in the US city of Indianapolis, police say.
Witnesses heard several gunshots at a FedEx facility and one said he saw a man firing an automatic weapon.
The gunman, said to have been acting alone, is reported to have killed himself. Authorities said there was no further threat to public safety.
Police say several of the injured have been taken to hospital. Flights from the nearby airport are not affected.
"As officers arrived, they came into contact with an active shooting incident," city police spokeswoman said.
Indianapolis police said the motive for the killing was unclear.
A FedEx statement said the company was aware of the shooting and co-operating with the authorities.
Local media quoted FedEx worker saying he had seen the gunman firing.
"I saw a man with a sub-machine gun of some sort, an automatic rifle, and he was firing in the open. I immediately ducked down and got scared," he said.
Last week, President Joe Biden announced his first steps since taking office to tighten gun controls following a series of mass shootings.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Transgender and Tribal Women among the Recipients of India’s Top Civilian Awards
- » EU May Impose New Sanctions on Belarus as early as Monday
- » Poland Increases Security on Border with Belarus after Threat of Migrants Increases
- » Russia: For Third Day in a Row, More than 40,000 New Infections with COVID-19
- » Up to Three Years in Prison for a Fake COVID Certificate in Ukraine
- » A Record 1,178 Died of COVID-19 in Russia in the last 24 hours