Bulgaria: Crime Group of Vote Buyers Busted, Members Are MP Candidates
A criminal group involved in vote buying has been uncovered, prosecutors said. Among the participants was a candidate for MP and municipal councilor.
The crime ring was funded by a person living in a country outside the European Union.
From his place of residence, the man transferred money to the Republic of Turkey, and from there the "mules" brought the cash to the territory of Bulgaria.
The group has been operating from February 6 until the election day - April 4, across the whole country. It had a pyramid structure. At the top was an organizer, who owns four commercial companies, runs a hotel complex, a cable TV and a factory. He has also maintained close relationship with the informal party leader.
The spokesperson for the Prosecutor General, Siyka Mileva, announced who the participants in the group were:
“One is a person who had immunity at the time, a candidate for a Member of the National Assembly. The second participant in the group is a person who was a former candidate for MEP, a former deputy mayor of a municipality in Bulgaria and a current municipal councilor in the same municipality. The third participant is a person with a strong influence in certain neighborhoods with a predominantly Roma population."
Three of the detainees are under arrest, and one is released on his own recognizance.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Car with 17 Migrants collided with a Taxi in Sofia
- » Bulgaria: Helicopter Crash with One Dead
- » Bulgaria: Drone with a suspected Bomb was discovered near Tyulenovo
- » Bulgaria: Relatives of the Victims from the Flood in Tsarevo will receive 15,000 Leva in compensation
- » Bulgaria: A Man and a 4-Year-Old Child Died after a Car-Train Crash
- » Bulgaria: Child was Stabbed after a Fight between Minors in Yambol