US: Car Rams into Capitol Security Leaving Police Officer Dead
An attack at the US Capitol complex in Washington DC has left one police officer dead and another in hospital with injuries.
A car crashed into a security barrier before the driver lunged towards the officers with a knife, police said.
The officers opened fire and the suspect was shot dead.
Authorities said the attack, which came three months after January's deadly Capitol riots, did not appear to be terrorism-related.
Acting Capitol Police Chief Yogananda Pittman said it was "with a very, very heavy heart that I announce one of our officers has succumbed to his injuries".
She named the officer as William "Billy" Evans, who had been a member of the Capitol Police for 18 years and was part of the department's first responders unit.
Law enforcement sources involved in the investigation told CBS News that the suspect in the attack was 25-year-old Noah Green from Indiana.
They said that no prior information about him had been found on any police databases.
An increased security presence remains around the Capitol building, where the US Congress sits.
As Congress is not currently in session, most politicians were not at the Capitol complex at the time of the attack.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » North Korea Warns Its Citizens of Upcoming Famine Crisis
- » Navalny's Condition in Jail Worsens: He Is losing Sensation in Legs and Hands
- » Italy Returns To Tight Lockdown for Easter
- » Tragic Train Accident in Taiwan with 34 Victims
- » Many People Injured in Brussels after Police Dispersed Illegal Gatherings
- » India Marks Another Daily Peak of Coronavirus Reaching 12 Million for First Time