Bulgaria Marks Sirni Zagovezni – the Day of Forgiveness
On March 14, 2021, Bulgarians mark Sirzi Zagovezni – the day of forgiveness. The date is different every year. The feast always falls on Sundays, seven weeks before Easter.
People in Bulgaria keep the tradition to ask forgiveness to the older family members. The words that are used are “Forgive me” and the answer is “You are forgiven”.
Sirni Zagovezni means Cheesfare Sunday. It is the last day on which dairy products are eaten before the beginning of the Great Lent. People in Bulgaria traditionally eat white halva, which is made of sugar and nuts.
One of the rituals performed on that day is ”hamkane”, in which a piece of white sugar or a boiled egg is attached to a string tied to the ceiling of a room. Then it is swung and all the children around the table in have to catch it, using only their mouths, without using their hands./BNT
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Maria Bakalova on Forbes List 30 Under 30
- » Maria Bakalova Awarded Honorary Askeer as Ambassador of Bulgarian Acting School
- » Godzilla Vs. Kong Movie with Record High Box Office Sales
- » International Day of Children’s Book Celebrated on April 2, Bulgarian Writer among Award Winners
- » Painting by Poussin Stolen by Nazi in 1944 Restored to Owners
- » Eurovision Song Contest Organizers Limit Audience Due to Covid-19