Tornado, Hail Size of Egg Hit Turkey
A small tornado struck a town on Turkey’s Aegean coast, leaving a path of destruction and injuring 16 people, officials and reports said Friday.
The tornado touched down late on Thursday in the resort town of Cesme, some 90 kilometers (56 miles) west of the city of Izmir. It uprooted trees, blew off roof tiles, swept up cars and knocked down a crane. At least four boats capsized.
The worst hit area was a construction site for summer villas where the crane was toppled and a container housing the construction workers overturned. Sixteen workers were hurt, including one who was hospitalized with a broken leg, the state-run Anadolu Agency reported.
“Cesme, a paradise on earth, experienced hell last night,” Anadolu quoted the town’s mayor, Ekrem Oran, as saying.
Powerful winds and and sizeable hail also caused damage in the nearby town of Urla, destroying hundreds of commercial greenhouses.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Windy and Cloudy with Max Temp Between 7°C and 12°C
- » Due to the Snow: Complicated Traffic Situation in Sofia
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Snowfall will Gradually Decrease in Western Bulgaria, Max Temp 3°-8°C
- » Hurricane Wind with Speed of 100 km/h, Hail and Fallen Trees in Bulgarian Town of Sliven
- » Bulgaria: Challenging Weather in the Next 48 hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Rain will Continue all over the Country, Temperatures will be Low