Tornado, Hail Size of Egg Hit Turkey
A small tornado struck a town on Turkey’s Aegean coast, leaving a path of destruction and injuring 16 people, officials and reports said Friday.
The tornado touched down late on Thursday in the resort town of Cesme, some 90 kilometers (56 miles) west of the city of Izmir. It uprooted trees, blew off roof tiles, swept up cars and knocked down a crane. At least four boats capsized.
The worst hit area was a construction site for summer villas where the crane was toppled and a container housing the construction workers overturned. Sixteen workers were hurt, including one who was hospitalized with a broken leg, the state-run Anadolu Agency reported.
“Cesme, a paradise on earth, experienced hell last night,” Anadolu quoted the town’s mayor, Ekrem Oran, as saying.
Powerful winds and and sizeable hail also caused damage in the nearby town of Urla, destroying hundreds of commercial greenhouses.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » How to Prepare for Vacation in Bulgaria?
- » Overfishing Poses Serious Hazard to Black Sea Fish Populations
- » Greece Sets Daring Experiment – Whole Aegean Island Goes Completely Green
- » European Environment Agency Released Beaches and Bathing Water Ranking: Where Is Bulgaria?
- » Iceberg Larger Than Majorca Broke off from Northern Edge of Antarctica
- » May 26 Full Moon Will Appear More Spectacular Than Ever