Magnitude 6,2 Earthquake Shook Indonesia, Dead and Injured Reported
A strong, shallow earthquake shook Indonesia’s Sulawesi island just after midnight, causing landslides and sending people fleeing from their homes in the nighttime darkness. At least 10 people were confirmed dead and more than 200 injured but authorities were still collecting information from devastated areas.
Thousands of displaced people were evacuated to temporary shelters. The magnitude 6.2 quake early Friday was centered 36 kilometers (22 miles) south of West Sulawesi province’s Mamuju district, at a depth of 18 kilometers (11 miles), the U.S. Geological Survey said.
On Thursday, a magnitude 5.9 undersea quake hit the same region, damaging several homes but causing no apparent casualties.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: The Extinguishing of the large Forest Fire near Panagyurishte Continues
- » Bulgaria: An Accident with 3 Deaths closed a Section of the Ruse - Veliko Tarnovo Road
- » Bulgaria: 9 Accidents with 1 Fatality since the Morning on the Trakia Highway
- » Critical Low Level of the Danube River
- » The Fire in Emilian Gebrev's Ammunition Warehouses near Karnobat has been completely Extinguished
- » Bulgaria: Explosion and Fire in an Ammunition Warehouse near Karnobat