Pep Guardiola Wants Messi to End His Career at Barcelona
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he wants Lionel Messi to finish his career at Barcelona.
Guardiola signed a two-year contract extension with City on Thursday and was immediately linked with his ex-player, who came close to moving last summer.
Guardiola said: "Messi is a Barcelona player. I said it a thousand times. As a fan, I want Leo to finish there."
Argentine playmaker Messi had looked set to join City after putting in a transfer request in August, only for Barcelona's then-president Josep Maria Bartomeu to block the transfer.
Bartomeu then resigned in October but Messi's future remains uncertain.
Paris St-Germain have also been linked with the 33-year-old, but every candidate in the Barcelona presidential election - to be held in January - has said it is a priority for them to persuade Messi to stay.
"I have huge gratitude for Barcelona and what they have done for me," said Guardiola, who worked with Messi when managing the club between 2008 and 2012.
"We have incredible games and targets and things we would like to achieve. That is the only thing in our mind. The rest, I cannot say anything."
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » North Korea Will Skip Tokyo Olympics over Covid-19 Concerns
- » North Macedonia Scores Stunning Win over Germany in World Cup Qualifying
- » Three Gold Medals for Boryana Kalein at Rhythmic Gymnastics World Cup in Sofia
- » Bulgaria Lost 0:2 to Italy in Second Consecutive WC Qualification in Sofia
- » Bulgaria is World Champion in Rhythmic Gymnastics
- » Bulgaria Started with 1:3 Defeat to Switzerland WC Qualifications