UK COVID-19 Cases Top 600,000 as Another 12,872 Confirmed
Another 12,872 people in Britain have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases in the country to 603,716, according to official figures released Sunday.
The coronavirus-related deaths rose by 65 to 42,825, the latest data showed. Earlier Sunday, Peter Horby, chair of the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats
Advisory Group (Nervtag) and a British government adviser, warned that a second national coronavirus lockdown is a possibility in the face of a worsening situation of the coronavirus pandemic.
Horby said during the BBC's Andrew Marr Show program that Britain was at a "precarious point" and the "critical mission" now was to protect the National Health Service (NHS) from being overwhelmed.
Meanwhile, Jonathan Van-Tam, England's deputy chief medical officer, also warned that Britain has reached a "tipping point" in its epidemic, similar to that seen in March.
At present, Britain's coronavirus reproduction number, also known as the R number, is between 1.2 and 1.5, slightly down from between 1.3 and 1.6 last week, the British government's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) has said. (ANI/Xinhua)
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Poland: The Biggest Protest in Warsaw so far Against Abortion Ruling
- » EC: Informed Decision-Making, Effective Vaccination, Safe Travel in Fight Against Coronavirus
- » Spain Closes 4 More Regions Amid Worsening COVID-19 Situation
- » French President Macron: New Lockdown Rules, People Fill Out Forms to Leave Their Homes
- » Germany Registers 16 000 Coronavirus Cases - Highest Daily Increase Since the Pandemic
- » COVID-19: France Considering Re-Introducing of Self-Isolation