France: Eiffel Tower Evacuated 'Over Bomb Threat'
The Eiffel Tower has been evacuated over a reported bomb threat.
A large area around the Paris landmark is said to have been cordoned off by police, with people urged to stay away from the area.
French media reported that police were given an anonymous tip at around 12pm local time (11am in the UK) that a bomb had been placed in the tower.
A police investigation is now underway in the seventh arrondissement, where the tower is located, local publication Actu reported.
French journalist Amaury Bucco tweeted: "Perimeter of Tour Eiffel cordoned off, police operation in progress," citing a police source.
"A man threatens to blow everything up."
This is not the first time the iconic tourist attraction has been faced with terrorism threats.
In May 2018 visitors to the tower were evacuated due to a bomb threat that police later found to be a hoax.
June 2017 saw a suspicious package left in the tower, which was later determined not to be dangerous.
The tower was also evacuated twice in September 2010 due to bomb threats that were eventually outed as hoaxes.
The Standard has contacted the management company of the Eiffel Tower for comment./Evening Standard
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Former Defense Minister: Important Interest in Russian Policy in the Balkans is a Weak Bulgaria
- » Allianz Risk Barometer 2022: Cyber Threats Overtake Covid-19 in Ranking for Biggest Global Business Risks
- » Bulgaria: Bread and Grain Products Rose in Price more than the Average Inflation
- » Bulgaria: One Billion BGN are Provided in the 2022 Budget for Food Vouchers
- » Bulgarian Experts: Life will Continue to Become More Expensive in the Coming Months
- » Ireland has Lifted almost All Restrictions due to Large Number of Booster Doses