Bulgaria Celebrates Unification Day
Today, September 6, Bulgaria marks 135th anniversary of the unification of the Principality of Bulgaria and the province of Eastern Rumelia.
By the terms of the Treaty of Berlin (1878), Southern Bulgaria (named Eastern Rumelia) was separated from the revived Bulgarian state and returned to the Ottoman Empire with partial autonomy. The unification was accomplished after mass demonstrations in Eastern Rumelia followed by a bloodless coup that ousted the provincial government. On 6 September 1885 the territory was reunited with the Principality of Bulgaria.
Unification Day is one of the most memorable dates in Bulgarian history. With this act and its successful defense, the Bulgarians achieved the first stage of their national unification and the revision of the Berlin Treaty.
The day was declared an official holiday of the country by a decision of the National Assembly of February 18, 1998.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria Celebrates Saints Sophia, Faith, Hope and Love
- » Bulgaria Marks 'End of Summer' - The Holy Cross Day
- » The Legacy of Spartacus, Bulgaria's Most Famous Gladiator
- » Sofia English Comedy Night with Leeor Brooks
- » Bulgaria Celebrates the 143rd Anniversary of the Shipka Epopee
- » Actress Megan Fox is in Bulgaria