Bright Friday for Orthodox Christians
Today is Bright Friday, the fifth day of the Bright Week, which is dedicated to St. Peter. The Bright Week, which commences on the second day after Easter, celebrates the Holy Apostles and the Holy Virgin, BNR recalls. The bright week ends with the second Easter on Sunday.
In the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Eastern Catholic Churches which follow the Byzantine Rite, this day is referred to as "Bright Friday". All of the services for Pascha (Easter) are repeated every day of Bright Week (Easter Week), except for the hymns from the Octoechos. On Bright Friday, the Resurrection hymns from the Octoechos are taken from Tone Six.
According to Wikipedia, in addition to the Paschal hymns, propers in honour of the Theotokos (Virgin Mary) as the "Life-giving Spring" are chanted on Bright Friday, and there is customarily a Lesser Blessing of Waters.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: An Avalanche Killed a 19-year-old Freerider in Pirin
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Dangerously Strong Wind, Snow is Coming
- » 7.3 Magnitude Quake hits South Shetland Islands
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 266 New Cases and 26119 Immunized
- » Kozloduy NPP Unit 5 Works Again, No Risk of Radioactive Contamination
- » Third Zimbabwean Minister Dies of COVID-19 within a Week