Bulgaria Marks 144 Years since the April Uprising
On April 20, 1876, Bulgaria marks 144 years since the April Uprising broke out in Koprivshtitsa, thanks to which Bulgaria appeared on the map of Europe.
The April Uprising was an insurrection organised by the Bulgarians in the Ottoman Empire from April to May 1876, which indirectly resulted in the re-establishment of Bulgaria in 1878. The regular Ottoman Army and irregular bashi-bazouk units brutally suppressed the rebels, resulting in a public outcry in Europe, with many famous intellectuals condemning the Ottoman atrocities and supporting the oppressed Bulgarian population.
The 1876 uprising involved only those parts of the Ottoman territories populated predominantly by Bulgarians. The emergence of Bulgarian national sentiments was closely related to the re-establishment of the independent Bulgarian Orthodox Church in 1870.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 77 New Cases
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny, Rain expected in the Afternoon
- » Bulgarians celebrate Children's Day
- » On June 1: Traveling by Train in Bulgaria will be Free for Children
- » Bulgaria: Health Minister to drop the Mandatory Isolation and Quarantine for People Sick with COVID-19
- » Bulgaria: New Rules for Electric Scooters in Sofia - Fines up to 25 EUR