Today is April Fool's Day
April Fool's Day is an annual custom on April 1 consisting of practical jokes and hoaxes. Jokesters often expose their actions by shouting "April fools" at the recipient.
Interesting fact is that the day is not a public holiday in any country except Odessa in Ukraine, where the first of April is an official city holiday.
However, this year, because of the COVID-19 situation, many people believe that it is not appropriate to make jokes.
Some countries have even banned the joking. Thailand said on Tuesday (Mar 31) that April Fools' Day jokes about the virus could be punished under a law carrying a sentence of up to five years in prison.
"It's against the law to fake having COVID-19 this April Fools' Day," the government said on Twitter.
India and Germany also share Thailand's opinion.
Tech giant Google, which is famous for its annual spoofs, has cancelled the tradition because of the pandemic which has killed about 40,000 people worldwide, CNA reported.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Germany and France to Propose EU-wide Quarantine Rules for British Arrivals
- » Hungary’s LGBTQ Law Slammed by EC Boss Von Der Leyen, ahead of EU Summit
- » Covid-19: Biggest Rise of Daily Cases in UK since February
- » Moscow Claims Russian Jets and Ships Fired upon British Warship in Black Sea, UK Denies
- » Health Minister: Italy to Become White Zone thanks to Vaccines
- » Chinese Military Points at US in Anger