3.3 Million Americans Lost their Jobs because of COVID-19
The shutdown of many US companies caused by the pandemic from the coronavirus has caused a huge wave of unemployment, rising to 3.3 million last week, the largest ever recorded. This was reported by the Ministry of Labour, cited by AFP.
The increase is up from 281,000 unemployment applications in the previous week and breaks the previous record of 695,000 set in October 1982.
Economists have warned of a massive increase in the unemployment rate, but estimates were around 1.5 million, which, as some have warned, was too optimistic.
New York State alone received 1.7 million claims for benefits.
The US Senate approved a $ 2.2 trillion economic bailout package that includes unprecedented unemployment benefit assistance until the pandemic is controlled.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Trump Bans Tik Tok App, Stocking Tension with Beijing
- » Bulgarian Company is the Owner of the Ship That Carried the Ammonium Nitrate Responsble for the Explosion in Beirut
- » France: 16 Coronavirus High-Risk Countries with a Compulsary Testing on Arrival
- » Donald Trump Suggests Delay to 2020 US Election, Republicans: You Can't Delay It
- » Britain Tightens Measures Against COVID-19
- » European Commission Signs Contract with Gilead to Secure EU Access to Remdesivir