February 19 – Day of Commemoration for Vasil Levski
Today the Bulgarians mark the anniversary of the hanging (1873) of Vasil Levski.
Vasil Levski, born Vasil Ivanov Kunchev, was a Bulgarian revolutionary and is a national hero of Bulgaria today. Dubbed the Apostle of Freedom, Levski ideologised and strategised a revolutionary movement to liberate Bulgaria from Ottoman rule.
Thousands of people pay tribute to the national hero and lay wreaths and flowers to the monuments dedicated to him all across the country.
A special commemoration ceremony will be held in his birth town, Karlovo. Memorial service and a special programme of the military university will take place In Veliko Turnovo.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Caretaker Ministry of Education and Science Announced Its Top Priorities
- » Eurostat: Bulgaria Has Lowest Home Office Rates in EU
- » Study in Italy Shows Reduction in Infections, Deaths after Vaccination against Covid-19
- » Miss Mexico Andrea Meza Crowned as 69th Miss Universe 2021
- » WHO: Long Working Hours Increase Risk of Heart Attack and Stroke
- » Powerful Earthquake Rocks Iran Causing Vast Destruction