China Bans Plastic Bags and Straws
China will ban non-degradable plastic bags in big cities. The restaurant industry will also be banned from using single-use straws by the end of this year in an effort to reduce waste.
The country is one of the largest plastic consumers in the world, and the plan aims to reduce 30% non-degradable single-use packaging in large cities' food establishments within 5 years.
In a document issued on Sunday, The National Development and Reform Commission stated that the production and sale of plastic containers and disposable styrofoam packaging will be banned by the end of the year.
Markets selling fresh produce will be exempt until 2025.
The production and sale of plastic bags that are less than 0.025mm thick will also be banned.
Hotels have been told that they must not offer free single-use plastic items by 2025.
China produced 210 million tonnes of garbage in 2017, according to World Bank data. The waste amount could jump up to 500 million tonnes a year by 2030.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 14: Cool in the Morning. Warm in the Afternoon
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 13: Cloudy Windy Monday
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Warm and Windy Sunday
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Hot Weekend
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 10: Mostly Sunny Today, Temperatures Up to 34 Degrees
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 9: Sunny and Hot, Temperatures Up to 33 Degrees