President Putin Arrived in Syria and Met with his Russian Counterpart Bashar al-Assad
Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived today on an unannounced preliminary visit to Syria, where he met with his Syrian counterpart, Bashar al-Assad, TASS and the Associated Press reported.
Bilateral negotiations took place between the Russian and Syrian delegations.
The Syrian Telegraph Agency SANA does not give details of the visit of the Russian head of state, and only reports that he met with Assad at a Russian military base.
Today's visit comes amid the tensions between Iran, another key ally of Assad, and the United States after the assassination of Iranian General Qasem Soleimani on Friday in a US air strike in Iraq, the Associated Press said.
Both Washington and Tehran have located forces in Syria, making the country a potential arena of conflict.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Officially: Bulgaria and Romania out of Schengen, Croatia is in
- » Public Execution in Afghanistan: The Victim's Father served the Sentence against a Man who Killed his Son
- » EU Court: Google must remove Information from Searches if proven to be False
- » Day 288 of the Invasion of Ukraine: International pressure has reduced the Nuclear Threat from Russia
- » Commissioner Johansson sees Positive Dynamics for the Entry of Bulgaria and Romania into Schengen
- » Merkel admitted to Defense Failures