More than 2 Tonnes of Oil Spilled in Waters off Galapagos Islands
More than two tonnes of diesel fuel were poured into the waters off the Galapagos Islands yesterday after a cargo vessel overturned while being loaded with containers early Sunday, local officials said on Twitter, CNN reported.
The incident happened near the island of San Cristobal in the Galapagos Archipelago.
Local authorities are taking urgent measures to prevent environmental damage.
The Galapagos Archipelago, with nearly 130 islands, is part of Ecuador and is located about a thousand kilometers from the mainland. Because of its unique flora and fauna, it has been designated by UNESCO as a "World Heritage Site" and biosphere reserve.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny Today, Rain in the Afternoon
- » Up to 110 Shooting Stars per Hour in Bulgaria Between August 11th and 13th
- » Two Beluga Whales Have Been Moved to an Open Water Sanctuary After Almost 10 Years Away From the Sea
- » 3.4-Magnitute Earthquake in Vrancea, Romania
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Warm
- » For the First Time in Four Years Endangered Tigers Have Been Spotted in Thailand