More than 2 Tonnes of Oil Spilled in Waters off Galapagos Islands
More than two tonnes of diesel fuel were poured into the waters off the Galapagos Islands yesterday after a cargo vessel overturned while being loaded with containers early Sunday, local officials said on Twitter, CNN reported.
The incident happened near the island of San Cristobal in the Galapagos Archipelago.
Local authorities are taking urgent measures to prevent environmental damage.
The Galapagos Archipelago, with nearly 130 islands, is part of Ecuador and is located about a thousand kilometers from the mainland. Because of its unique flora and fauna, it has been designated by UNESCO as a "World Heritage Site" and biosphere reserve.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Weather in Bulgaria will be Sunny and Windy with a sharp Cooling in the evening
- » "Earth Hour" - We turn off the Lights and Shine a Light on the Problem of Endangered Animal Species
- » Bulgaria: The Zoo in Burgas acquired New Exotic Rodents
- » Sunny Weather in Bulgaria, in the morning with Reduced Visibility
- » Rains will Mostly Stop and Sunny Weather will prevail over Bulgaria
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Yellow Code for Dangerous Rain Showers in 8 Regions