The United States Owes the UN $ 491 Million
The United States still owes $ 491 million to the UN budget, spokesman for the organization's Secretary General Stephane Dujarric said at a briefing.
"The United States paid off last year's debt and some of this year's, paying 563 million U.S. dollars in the last few weeks," Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, told a regular press briefing.
In October, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said that “the Organization is facing a severe financial crisis. To be more specific, a severe liquidity crisis. The equation is simple: without cash, the budget cannot be properly implemented. For the current biennium, budget implementation is no longer being driven by programme planning, but by the availability of cash at hand.”
The organization has even been forced to downsize some activities and switch to a cost-effective mode of operation at its headquarters in New York.
Total budgetary commitments amount to $ 1.355 billion. At the same time, Dujarric said that 7 countries owe 97% of this amount - the United States, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Iran, Israel and Venezuela.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Revenue Agency Supported 2,223 Local Companies
- » World Economy: Foreign Direct Investments Slumped by 42 Percent in 2020
- » Is Bitcoin the Answer to a Financial Crisis?
- » IMF Head Kristalina Georgieva: Forecasts for Global Economy Are Grim
- » Bulgarian National Bank Forecasts GDP Drop at 4,4 Percent Rate for 2020
- » Bulgarian PM Borissov: We Doubled the Salaries of Teachers, 1 Billion Were Invested in Educational Infrastructure