The EP Approved the Composition of the New European Commission
MEPs from the European Parliament approved the new Commissioners, presented to plenary by Commission President-elect von der Leyen on Wednesday, European Parliament press service announced.
MEPs approved the new Commission with 461 votes in favour, 157 against & 89 abstentions
The vote put an end to the lengthy process of selecting a proposed team of commissioners. Its purpose was to ensure that the EU's executive body has the democratic legitimacy to act in the interests of European citizens.
MEPs elected Ursula von der Leyen to chair the European Commission back in July. From late September to mid-November, parliamentary committees held hearings for each of the candidates to determine whether he/she was appropriate for the proposed post.
On 21 November, political group leaders and European Parliament President David Sassoli agreed that the evaluation process was over and that the EP was ready to hold the final plenary vote.
The new commission will take office on 1 December for five years.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Court Rules: Atanas Bobokov Released on Record BGN 2 Million Bail
- » COVID-19: Germany Will Try to Get EU Deal to Close Ski Resorts
- » Premier of North Macedonia: We Don’t Have Shared History with Bulgaria, We Have Common History
- » Nadezhda Neynsky Nominated for Secretary General of Organization of the Black Sea Economic Cooperation
- » Recep Erdogan: Turkey Wants More Countries to Monitor Truce in Nagorny Karabach
- » Ruslan Stefanov: People of Many Age Groups in Bulgaria Believe in Strong Hand