Jens Stoltenberg: Turkey Is Important Country for NATO
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said in an interview with French daily Figaro that Turkey is a very important country for the alliance.
"All allies criticized Operation Peace Spring, but no one spoke of Turkey's place in NATO. Turkey has allowed its allies to use its bases while fighting the Islamic State.
Turkey is the only NATO country on the border with Syria and Iraq. It welcomed 3.6 million refugees. Turkey is very important to NATO. To find out, it's enough to look at the map and look at Turkey's geostrategic position," Stoltenberg noted.
Commenting on the recent statement by French President Emmanuel Macron that "NATO is suffering brain death", he said that "NATO is vital for security issues".
Stoltenberg said that the best way to address any differences "is to sit down and discuss them and to fully understand the messages and the motivations."
"My message is that NATO is adapting, NATO is agile, NATO is responding," he told reporters ahead of a NATO defense ministers meeting on Wednesday, DW reported.
- » Russia Claims the the US is behind the Coronavirus Epidemic
- » Moscow: Bulgaria is the Epicentre of a Campaign against Russia
- » US to Withdraw Troops from Kosovo unless Pristina Abolishes Customs Duties
- » Russia Bans Imports of Chinese Meat Products
- » The Pentagon: Russia and Turkey are on the Verge of an Armed Conflict in Idlib
- » The United States has Excluded 47 Goods from the List of Chinese Products Subject to Customs Duties