Brussels Increases the Fine for Throwing a Cigarette Butt from 50 to 200 Euros
Starting next year the fine for throwing a cigarette butt in Brussels will be increased from 50 to 200 euros, according to the mayoralty of the Belgian capital.
The city's cleanliness office is launching a plan to raise awareness among smokers, install urban ashtrays, as well as to launch a project for the utilisation of cigarette butts via pocket ashtrays, the service said.
Hard measures are explained by the municipal authorities with the fact that almost one third of the municipal waste collected by the municipal services are cigarette butts.
It takes 15 years for a cigarette butt to decompose and also contains many toxic substances. The mayor states that only one cigarette butt can contaminate 500 liters of water.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Lena Borislavova from WCC: Kindergartens and Nurseries will be Free
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Cold with Temperatures in Sofia between 1°C and minus 2°C
- » Orange Code for Heavy Rainfall, Snowfall and Strong Wind Announced for 3 Districts in Bulgaria
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Rainfall that will turn into Snow with Temperatures Reaching -1°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Cloudy with Max. Temperatures Between 11°C and 16°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Significant Clouds with Max. Temperatures Between 7°C and 12°C