Brussels Increases the Fine for Throwing a Cigarette Butt from 50 to 200 Euros
Starting next year the fine for throwing a cigarette butt in Brussels will be increased from 50 to 200 euros, according to the mayoralty of the Belgian capital.
The city's cleanliness office is launching a plan to raise awareness among smokers, install urban ashtrays, as well as to launch a project for the utilisation of cigarette butts via pocket ashtrays, the service said.
Hard measures are explained by the municipal authorities with the fact that almost one third of the municipal waste collected by the municipal services are cigarette butts.
It takes 15 years for a cigarette butt to decompose and also contains many toxic substances. The mayor states that only one cigarette butt can contaminate 500 liters of water.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Why is it so Hard to Predict Earthquakes?
- » The Weather will be Sunny and Cold, Strong Wind is expected in Eastern Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: Strong Wind Knocked Down Trees in Varna
- » Bulgaria: The Wind Speed in Sliven reaches over 100 km/h
- » Yellow Code for Negative Temperatures throughout Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: Code Yellow for Strong Winds in 10 Regions Today: Temperatures Drop to Minus 15° in the Coming Days