More than a Tonne of Cocaine Was Found in a Banana Container in Italy
More than one tonne of cocaine was seized from a banana container at the port of Gioia Tauro in the southern Italian region of Calabria. This was announced by Italian carabinieri and the financial police, BTA reported.
The container was traveling from South America and had to reach Germany. The drug found in it, totaling 1.2 tonnes, could be sold for at least EUR 250 million.
The narcotics were hidden in 144 packs in a refrigerated container designated to transport bananas, ANSA reported.
Interior Minister Luciana Lamorgese congratulated the regional Mafia Directorate, Calabrian Carabinieri and local financial police agents for the action.
According to her, this is one of the largest quantities of cocaine seized in Italy.
Gioia Tauro is the largest cargo port in Italy and the 10th largest in Europe. Cocaine trafficking in the region is controlled by the Calabrian Mafia Ndrangheta, AFP noted.
- » The Interior Ministry has no Information on an Investigation by the Spanish Authorities against PM Borissov
- » One of the Killed in the Shootings in the German city of Hanau is a Bulgarian Citizen
- » The Rapper Pop Smoke was Shot Dead
- » Ministry of Justice Asked the UAE for the Extradition of Vasil Bozhkov
- » 24 People were Killed in a Church Attack in Burkina Faso
- » A Record 5 Tonnes of Cocaine Seized in Costa Rica