Opinion: Bulgaria Needs to Take a Position on Syria
The European Union has condemned Turkey's military action in northern Syria and called on EU countries exporting weapons to Turkey to suspend their supplies. US already imposes sanctions on Turkey. The analysis of the conflict in the studio of the BNT Morning block was made by Vesela Cherneva, director of the Sofia office of the European Council on Foreign Policy and Lyubomir Kyuchukov of the Institute for Economics and International Relations.
The idea of the Council is rather to have institutions clash with regard to this conflict. Making it clear that what is currently happening in Syria has not only actually released a large number of Islamic State fighters, but has also set the Kurds up against Europe and the West, Cherneva said.
Vesela Cherneva, Director of the Sofia Office of the European Council on Foreign Policy: These are two new threats for the European Union, and especially for the countries closest to it, Bulgaria is certainly one of them.
She said the other reason for the Council is that on Thursday and Friday, EU leaders will meet at the so-called Summit and stressed that it is good for Bulgaria to go prepared and with a position, not to improvise .
The Bulgarian position cannot be as neutral as any other EU member state, Kyuchukov was adamant.
Lyubomir Kyuchukov, Institute for Economics and International Relations: Another issue is that Bulgaria has in practice two benchmarks that must be addressed. The first is an EU member state and the second is Turkey's neighbor, which inevitably places bilateral relations as an element of the common position, ie. here obviously Bulgaria, taking these two things into account, should be part of a common EU position, but by the way it is still not clear how exactly this common position will be obtained, there are different views, some EU countries have different views.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria in Crisis: How World’s Saddest Place Became Deadliest
- » Boyko Takov: How to Survive in Time of Pandemic, Useful Tips for Bulgarian companies from BSMEPA
- » IME: Bulgarian Government Chose the Easiest Way for Budget Relaxation
- » IFIMES: Bulgarian ‘Certification’ of Identity of Macedonians and Macedonian Language?
- » COVID-19: New Theory Suggests That Wearing a Mask Builds Immunity
- » Boyko Takov, BSMEPA: 90% of Companies in Bulgaria Are Micro, However Generating a Little Over 1/3 of Revenues in the Sector