PayPal Is Leaving Facebook's Cryptocurrency Union
PayPal's global payment system is pulling out of the Libra Association, created to launch the future Facebook cryptocurrency of the same name.
PayPal was one of the 28 corporate members of the association. All founders were expected to invest a minimum of $ 10 million to fund the operating costs of the project. However, these investments have not yet been made. This week The Wall Street Journal reported that Visa, Mastercard and other financial partners in the association are also in the process of reviewing their participation after a government response. They have received letters from the Treasury asking for a full review of their anti-money laundering programs and how Libra's digital currency will fit into them. However, when member companies of the association asked Facebook for information on these issues, they did not receive detailed answers.
So Mastercard and Visa have reconsidered participating in Facebook's cryptocurrency.
PayPal, however, is the first partner to take a radical step away from the project. “PayPal has made the decision to forgo further participation in the Libra Association at this time and to continue to focus on advancing our existing mission and business priorities,” a spokeswoman for PayPal, Amanda Coffee, wrote in an email on Friday. Withdrawing the company could mean the association is beginning to break up, observers commented.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Switzerland has introduced a Mandatory PCR Test Requirement upon Entry
- » Bulgarian Tour Operators are Reporting Increased Interest in Charter Programs for the Holidays
- » US has Introduced Mandatory COVID-19 Negative Test Requirement for those Arriving by Plane
- » Kristalina Georgieva: Omicron could Slow Down the Pace of Global Economic Recovery
- » “The Bulgarian Davos” Event will take place on December 14
- » Bulgarian Schools: Tests for On-site Studying have been provided for All Students starting December 6