Health: Women More Vulnerable to Stress
Women have lower levels of a brain chemical that controls anxiety. Having less of the chemical, an enzyme called COMT, appears to make a person more anxious and highly strung.
And women who have a particular version of the gene that makes the enzyme are most likely to worry most of all.
Scientists found that women with one particular variation of the gene - called Val 158Met - scored high in tests that measured their anxiety levels.
Scans of electrical activity in the brain also showed signs that they had an anxious temperament.
Everybody inherits two copies of the gene - one from each parent.
Women who inherited two copies of the Val 158Met gene were the greatest worriers of all.
However, men who had the same genetic make-up did not appear to be extra anxious.
The study highlighted the fact that all women - not just those with the gene variant - were bigger worriers than men.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Nearly 2,000 infected with COVID-19 in Romania
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Hot on the First Day of Autumn
- » Bulgaria: Helicopter Crash with One Dead
- » Today marks 115 Years since Bulgaria’s Independence
- » Bulgaria received 80,640 Doses of the New Vaccine against COVID-19
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 143 New Cases in the Last 24 hours