Jean-Claude Juncker Inclined to Give up the Irish Border Backstop
Yesterday, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said that he was inclined to give up the Irish border security mechanism (backstop) if all targets were met, BTA reported.
“I don’t have an erotic relation to the backstop”, which he said he was prepared to remove from a withdrawal agreement, so long as "alternative arrangements [are put in place] allowing us and Britain to achieve the main objectives of the backstop. All of them”, Sky News reported.
The clause stipulating that the United Kingdom will remain in a "single customs territory" with the EU unless a better solution is found after the transitional period is at the heart of the disagreement between London and Brussels. The aim is to avoid the return of a physical border between the EU Member State of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » USA: Today We Celebrate 19 years of Bulgaria in NATO
- » Bulgaria’s VMZ - Sopot might Produce 155-mm Shells but only Experimentally
- » Kiril Petkov: We are ready to Talk with Everyone, even GERB, but about Policies
- » Bulgarian PM: They will not Scare Us with Bomb Threats, Don’t be Afraid to Vote
- » Survey before the Elections in Bulgaria: “We Continue the Change” Lead by 1.4% over GERB
- » Ukraine is Waiting for Hundreds of Thousands of Projectiles for 350 Million Leva from Bulgaria’s VMZ-Sopot