The EU Council Endorsed Kövesi's Candidacy For Prosecutor General
Laura Codruța Kövesi is approved as Attorney General of the European Union by the Permanent Representatives Committee of the EU Council. She was the only candidate for the post. Prior to that, she led Romania's anti-corruption prosecution.
Speaking to the BNR, Finnish presidency spokesman Marko Ruonala said:
"The formal vote confirmed that there was a sufficient majority in support of Ms Kövesi. There will be a formal vote in the Council once the European Parliament and the Council agree on the matter. "
MEP of the Greens / European Free Alliance Group,Saskia Bricmont, recalled that the role of European Prosecutor General is key in combating fraud and corruption in the European Union and will be strengthened by Kövesi's experience and determination, which has achieved significant results as director of the anti-corruption unit in Romania, despite attempts by the socialist government to intervene in its work.
,,Long viewed by most people in Romania as the country’s moral compass, Kövesi’s appointment will be a severe blow to the government in Bucharest, which has conducted a long, often nasty campaign to prevent its former anti-corruption chief from getting the EU job'', Bricmont said.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Michel Barnier Accused Boris Johnson of Not Keeping His Promises
- » Brussels warns: Coronavirus Pandemic Threatens the Future of the Eurozone
- » Heads of EU and Western Balkans Countries will Meet Virtually
- » The EC Raised 7,4 Billion Euros to Develop a COVID-19 Vaccine
- » Bulgaria has Officially Applied for the Eurozone
- » Eurostat: The Highest Rate of Severe Material Deprivation is in Bulgaria