Indonesia Returns Tonnes of Waste to the West
Indonesia returns 547 garbage containers to the west after finding plastic and hazardous materials in it, the Associated Press reported.
Customs spokesman Heru Pambudi said nine containers containing 135 tonnes of waste were already shipped back to Australia.
They are part of the 156 containers held at Tangerang Port, which will soon be returned to the US, New Zealand, Spain, Belgium and the UK.
Pamboudi said the government has stopped over 2,000 containers in several ports since July. So far, it has returned a total of 331 containers, which will be followed by another 216, BTA informed.
The authorities were taking action against three companies involved in the shipments, The Straits Times reported.
"Imported waste mixed with trash or hazardous waste must be re-exported," said Mr Heru Pambudi, director-general of Customs and Excise.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 15: Mostly Sunny Today
- » Inspection of the Bulgarian Minister of Agriculture Whether Unauthorized Plant Protection is being Used
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 14: Cool in the Morning. Warm in the Afternoon
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 13: Cloudy Windy Monday
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Warm and Windy Sunday
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Hot Weekend