A Backpack Graveyard Appeared at the UN Headquarters
Мore than 3,700 backpacks, arranged in rows as gravestones in a cemetery, were on display yesterday at the UN headquarters in New York. With this, UNICEF wants to draw attention to children victims of conflict, DPA reported.
Each of the 3758 UNICEF project backpacks symbolizes the loss of one child's life in conflict zones in 2018, the organization said in a statement.
“UNICEF backpacks have always been a symbol of hope and childhood possibility,” said UNICEF Executive Director Henrietta Fore. “In just two weeks, world leaders gathering at the UN General Assembly will celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Convention on the Rights of the Child. This installation should remind them of the stakes.” .
The 2019 report of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflicts states that over 12,000 children were killed or maimed in conflict zones last year and these are only verified facts - in reality the number may be much higher, adds DPA.
“As many children go back to school this week, we are drawing attention to the thousands of children killed in conflict zones and whose tragic loss will forever be felt in their homes, classrooms and communities around the world,” said Fore. “The remarkable gains made for children in the last 30 years clearly show what we can do if we harness the political will to put children first.”
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 593 COVID-19 Infected, Another Death Case
- » BRC: A Chinese Company has Provided 150,000 Protective Masks
- » A 48-Year-Old Bulgarian with Suspected Coronavirus Infection Died in Spain
- » Code Yellow Warning of Rough Seas Issued for the Coastal Area of Burgas Region
- » Jack Dorsey, Co-Founder of Twitter Donates $ 1 Billion from his Personal Wealth to Help Fight COVID-19
- » Bulgaria Allocates nearly BGN 200,000 to Help Albania Recover from the Earthquake