David-Maria Sassoli Is the New President of the European Parliament
Italian former journalist David-Maria Sassoli has been selected as the new president of the European Parliament, BBC reported.
He gathered most of the votes at the first vote that took place earlier today.
Mr Sassoli, 63, received the support of 345 out of a total of 667 MEPs in the second round of voting in Strasbourg. The centre-left politician beat three other candidates - Ska Keller, European Green Party (German), Jan Zahradil, Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe (Czech) and Sira Rego, European United Left-Nordic Green Left (Spanish)
He will assume the role of assembly speaker immediately.
- » The President: NATO’s Future is not in a Union of Producers and Clients, but of Partners
- » PM Borissov: Mariya Gabriel's Responsibilities in the EC are in Line with Some of the Key Priorities of the Cabinet
- » Macron: Turkey Sometimes Cooperates with ISIS
- » Rumen Radev in London: The Funds Invested in Defense Capabilities Should Contribute to the Countries’ Own Economic Development and Social Systems
- » Jens Stoltenberg: NATO Is Strong
- » The Real Part of the NATO Summit Begins Today