David-Maria Sassoli Is the New President of the European Parliament
Italian former journalist David-Maria Sassoli has been selected as the new president of the European Parliament, BBC reported.
He gathered most of the votes at the first vote that took place earlier today.
Mr Sassoli, 63, received the support of 345 out of a total of 667 MEPs in the second round of voting in Strasbourg. The centre-left politician beat three other candidates - Ska Keller, European Green Party (German), Jan Zahradil, Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe (Czech) and Sira Rego, European United Left-Nordic Green Left (Spanish)
He will assume the role of assembly speaker immediately.
- » After the Security Council: Bulgaria Urges Turkey to Suspend Military Operation in Syria
- » France Blocks the Start of EU Membership Talks with Skopje and Tirana
- » Ekaterina Zaharieva: The Communication Channels between EU and Turkey Must Be Kept Open
- » President Radev Wants a Common European Plan in case of a New Refugees Wave to Bulgaria
- » UK Will Have to Nominate a Commissioner-Designate if it Stays in the EU after 1 November
- » PM Borissov: I Don't Know what Will Happen to the Country if 200,000 Migrants Enter Bulgaria