UN: Climate Change Will Push 120 million People Into Poverty by 2030
According to the World Bank, if no immediate action is taken, by the year 2030 there will be 120 million people living in poverty worldwide. Only 800 million people live in hot climates in southern Asia, and living conditions will get worse by 2030, the report said.
The livelihoods of the world's poorest are most exposed to climate change disasters, because poverty makes it impossible to escape, says the research. When extreme weather hits, the poorest lack the resources necessary to recover, and become even poorer, creating a vicious circle.
Scientists say the poorest part of the world's population, about 3.5 billion people, is responsible for 10% of the carbon dioxide release. At the same time, 10% of the richest people are responsible for half of the greenhouse gas emissions in the atmosphere.
UN experts urge states and companies to engage more actively with limiting greenhouse gases in the atmosphere that accelerate climate change on the planet.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 7: Cloudy and Rainy Today
- » Weather in Bulgaria: A Powerful Storm Flooded Sofia
- » Bulgaria: Ticks Boom Across the Country
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Thunderstorms in Many Places in the Country on July 5
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Summer Storms with Thunder and Hail, Sunny on the Black Sea
- » Weather Today: Rainy Over Western Bulgaria, on the SeaCoast - Perfect for the Beach