The Netherlands Has Blocked Negotiations with Albania For the EU
The Dutch parliament opposed the start of negotiations with Albania last night but rejected the same resolution that concerns Northern Macedonia.
Dutch Parliament voted four resolutions on EU enlargement yesterday but only Albania has won a majority of votes, including the ruling, with 105 votes out of 150 MPs in parliament.
The resolution calls for not to enter into negotiations with Tirana in 2019, mainly due to insufficient progress in the fight against organized crime and corruption. The Dutch Government shares this view. According to Foreign Minister Stef Blok, the opening of the accession talks with Albania is a hasty decision.
The resolution for northern Macedonia, through which several Dutch MPs wanted to block talks with Skopje, was rejected by the majority in the Dutch parliament.
This is the first possible step towards separating northern Macedonia and Albania into the EU Council if the Netherlands as an EU Member State calls on the Council to take this approach when deciding on the Albania-Macedonia package on 18 June in Luxembourg or the next meeting the end of July in Brussels.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Brussels warns: Coronavirus Pandemic Threatens the Future of the Eurozone
- » Heads of EU and Western Balkans Countries will Meet Virtually
- » The EC Raised 7,4 Billion Euros to Develop a COVID-19 Vaccine
- » Bulgaria has Officially Applied for the Eurozone
- » Eurostat: The Highest Rate of Severe Material Deprivation is in Bulgaria
- » ECB: Euro Banknotes do not Pose a Risk of Coronavirus Transmission