Vlad Tepes - Dracula Was in the Northern Bulgaria's Town Svishtov
Dracula's story, apart from being filmed by Hollywood, is also recorded in historical documents - which lead to the northern Bulgaria's town Svishtov.
"In the winter of 1461, in one of his numerous wars with the Turks, the unbelievable Vlad Țepeș - Dracula, crossed the Danube, besieged the Svishtov fortress, conquered it, impaled a few hundred Ottomans on wooden stakes," said Professor Nikolay Ovcharov, an archaeologist.
Not only did he besieged the Svishtov fortress, but it was also its base within this winter and he resided there. Legends are saying that Dracula, known as Vlad the Impaler, had a woman in Svishtov and even a heir. The fact is certainly that the Dracula was in Svishtov.
The last excavations of the fortress known in Svishtov as "Kaleto" were more than 60 years ago. Even with the turn of the first sod, interesting finds have already been discovered. For now, the studies of Dracula's residence will last for one month.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 81 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny in the East with Rain Showers in the West
- » Today Bulgarians honor Hristo Botev and the Heroes who Died for Freedom - Sirens to be Sound at Noon
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 77 New Cases
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny, Rain expected in the Afternoon
- » Bulgarians celebrate Children's Day