Latvia Elects a New President Today
The Latvian Parliament elects today a new president.
Candidates for the post are three.
The President of Latvia has limited powers. He represents the country on the international scene and is the supreme commander.
His term of office is four years. Candidates for the post must be Latvian citizens over 40 years of age. The president is elected by an absolute majority of the deputies.
In recent years, a debate has been held in Latvia to change the way the president is elected, but parliament rejects the introduction of direct elections to the head of state.
- » EP Will Vote Today Ursula Gertrud von der Leyen 's Nomination for President of the European Commission
- » The EU Has Imposed Sanctions on Turkey
- » The New European Parliament with Second Session in Strasbourg
- » Eurozone Finance Ministers Welcomed Croatia's Application to Join the Currency Union
- » Croatia Has Filed a Formal Application to Join the European Monetary Mechanism
- » Negotiations for Top EU Jobs EU Stalled for Third Consecutive Day