Latvia Elects a New President Today
The Latvian Parliament elects today a new president.
Candidates for the post are three.
The President of Latvia has limited powers. He represents the country on the international scene and is the supreme commander.
His term of office is four years. Candidates for the post must be Latvian citizens over 40 years of age. The president is elected by an absolute majority of the deputies.
In recent years, a debate has been held in Latvia to change the way the president is elected, but parliament rejects the introduction of direct elections to the head of state.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Michel Barnier Accused Boris Johnson of Not Keeping His Promises
- » Brussels warns: Coronavirus Pandemic Threatens the Future of the Eurozone
- » Heads of EU and Western Balkans Countries will Meet Virtually
- » The EC Raised 7,4 Billion Euros to Develop a COVID-19 Vaccine
- » Bulgaria has Officially Applied for the Eurozone
- » Eurostat: The Highest Rate of Severe Material Deprivation is in Bulgaria