Orangutan in a suitcase: Tourist tried to steal a primate from Bali
A Russian tourist was arrested at the Bali Island Airport after trying to steal a drugged orangutan from the country in a suitcase, a French press reported, quoted by bTV.
27-year-old Andrey Zestkov, who was carrying the 2-year-old male primate in his luggage, was detained.
Authorities also discovered two geckos and five lizards in the man’s luggage.
Officials found the 2-year-old orangutan fast asleep in a basket, evidently drugged with allergy pills, after a routine security screening.
The tourist prepared the animal, like he was transporting a baby. The man had also packed baby formula and blankets.
Now he faces up to five years in prison and $7,000 in fines, according to the outlet.
Zhestkov explained at the arrest that his orangutan was given to him by a Russian friend who had bought him for $ 3,000 from a market on the island of Java.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria’s Urban Development: City Is Engine of Civilization
- » Bulgaria Again Ranks Among Most Corrupt Countries in Europe
- » On 28 January World Marks Personal Data Protection Day
- » Bulgaria: New Internet Scam, Fraudsters Collect Personal Data Offering Lucrative Jobs
- » Bulgaria’s Vice President Tested Positive for Coronavirus
- » Covid-19 in Bulgaria: 598 Newly Infected, 28 Died