EC: If Britain has not Left the EU by May, it has to Elect MEPs
If Britain has not left the EU until the election of MEPs, it will have to participate in these elections. This was stated at a press conference by a spokesman for the European Commission.
He added that the EU has not yet received a substantiated request from the British side to extend the pre-separation period. The spokesman noted that, in order to be confirmed, such a request should be supported by all other EU countries. In his words, in this process for the EU, the most important thing is to ensure the normal functioning of the Community institutions.
Asked to assess the behavior of British Prime Minister Theresa May, the spokesman said that EC President Jean-Claude Juncker has repeatedly expressed his high respect for her and her work. Responding to a question, what message would the British MPs say, the spokesman said they know best how to do it.
- » Report: Europeans Do Not Exclude War on the Old Continent
- » Mogherini: In June, North Macedonia and Albania will Start Negotiations with the EU
- » The EP: Stronger EU Borders With a New Standing Corps of 10000 Border Guards
- » The EU has finally adopted the Copyright Directive
- » 4 EU Nations to Take in 64 Migrants Rescued at Sea Near Malta
- » States Must Not Allow Their Territory to be Used For Malicious Actions Using New Technologies, Federica Mogherini