Happy Baba Marta From Novinite.com !
Bulgarians are celebrating on Tuesday Baba Marta (Grandma March) holiday, which is observed each year on March 1.
On this day, people greet each other with “Happy Baba Marta” and exchange adornments called “martenitsi” (named after the month of March).
The martenitsi are made of white and red threads and are most often worn as bracelets or come in the shape of a pair of male and female dolls, called Pizho and Penda, which are attached to one’s garment.
The martenitsi are worn until one sees a stork or a tree in blossom, signs associated with the arrival of spring.
Baba Marta is a mythical figure, bringing with her the end of the winter and the start of the spring, with the adornments worn for health.
- » Variable Clouds to Sunny Spells over most of Bulgaria this Morning
- » More than 30,000 Antique Objects to Return to Bulgaria after Special Operation by Bulgarian and Spanish Authorities (Video)
- » Passenger in Critical Condition after Abrupt Stop by a Public Transport Bus in Varna
- » Medics from the only Paediatric Hospital in Bulgaria Demand Higher Pay and more Staff
- » Person Hit by Train near Lakatnik Station
- » Cloudy Day with Rain in Many Places in Bulgaria, Highs between 12-17°C