Again a Fire in One of the Tobacco Warehouses in Plovdiv
A fire broke out in one of the former tobacco warehouses in Plovdiv. This time it has been extinguished quickly - in about 5 minutes, and there is no serious damage, BNR reported.
The fire broke out on the first floor of the warehouse on 8 Edirne Street, which was half destroyed 3 years ago.
According to the law enforcement authorities, homeless people burned garbage.
The demolition of the building on 8 Edirne Street started three years ago. It was stopped after citizens made a living circuit around the building, which was then claimed to be a cultural monument. The Ministry of Culture also announced that the owners had submitted untrue documents in order to be cleared of the site.
The private owners were blamed for the demolition of the warehouse. In the course of the first instance case, however, it turned out that the building had never been a property of immovable cultural value. It would be protected from demolition, possibly from being included in the group monument of culture, but this was not done formally because the address of the warehouse is mistaken and another building has entered the group monument.
A few months later a fire burned three more warehouses in the Tobacco city in the center of Plovdiv. A homeless person who lived in one of the buildings was accused. So far, buildings are half demolished.
- » RFE/RL: Bulgarian Justice Minister Resigns Amid Real Estate Scandal
- » Bulgarian President Radev and CEC Discussed Preparations for the European Elections
- » Anti-corruption Body Investigates Property Deals of Ruling Majority Politicians in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Citizens Will Pay More For Driving Courses
- » Scientists from the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences have Discovered Anti-tumor Properties of Cannabis
- » Bulgarian PM Borissov: It is Important to Have Brexit with Rules