14 Tonnes of Toxic Waste Dumped in the Yana Station Area in Sofia - is there a Danger to People?
14 tons of toxic waste was dumped in the Yana railway station, confirmed for NOVA from Sofia Municipality.
The district is detached from the Directorate for Emergency Relief and Prevention to Sofia Municipality. There is no air pollution. A suspect is seized for the discarded waste.
"On Friday evening at 22:00 we received a smell signal in the industrial area of the village of Yana. We immediately took action. We have informed RIEW, "said Krassimir Dimitrov, director of the Emergency Aid and Prevention Directorate of Sofia Municipality.
"A headquarters has been set up. We created the perimeter about 1 km to be safe for people. Measurements showed higher concentrations of air with dangerous substances. Barrels of an unknown substance have been poured, which is readily flammable and toxic. An authorized company helps us to move these barrels from the river, "added Dimitrov.
Toxic waste was dumped by employees of a company that has a landfill site.
"This is irresponsibility under three laws. This amount is enormous, causing a strong smell in the area. The action is extremely dangerous for the life and health of people. The waste was thrown away for days, "the Director of the Emergency Relief and Prevention Directorate of Sofia Municipality also explained.
Will be taken from soil samples to see if it is contaminated.
- » It Will Be Mostly Sunny Today, Isolated Showers Are Possible in the Mountains
- » Тhis Summer Was the Hottest on Record in the Northern Hemisphere
- » Neno Dimov: Less than 3% of the Imported Waste in 2018 Is Burned in TPPs
- » The Ozone Hole over Antarctica - the Smallest in almost 30 Years!
- » It Will be Sunny Again Today, with Highs Between 29C and 34C
- » It will be Sunny Today, with Scattered High Clouds Around Midday