14 Tonnes of Toxic Waste Dumped in the Yana Station Area in Sofia - is there a Danger to People?
14 tons of toxic waste was dumped in the Yana railway station, confirmed for NOVA from Sofia Municipality.
The district is detached from the Directorate for Emergency Relief and Prevention to Sofia Municipality. There is no air pollution. A suspect is seized for the discarded waste.
"On Friday evening at 22:00 we received a smell signal in the industrial area of the village of Yana. We immediately took action. We have informed RIEW, "said Krassimir Dimitrov, director of the Emergency Aid and Prevention Directorate of Sofia Municipality.
"A headquarters has been set up. We created the perimeter about 1 km to be safe for people. Measurements showed higher concentrations of air with dangerous substances. Barrels of an unknown substance have been poured, which is readily flammable and toxic. An authorized company helps us to move these barrels from the river, "added Dimitrov.
Toxic waste was dumped by employees of a company that has a landfill site.
"This is irresponsibility under three laws. This amount is enormous, causing a strong smell in the area. The action is extremely dangerous for the life and health of people. The waste was thrown away for days, "the Director of the Emergency Relief and Prevention Directorate of Sofia Municipality also explained.
Will be taken from soil samples to see if it is contaminated.
- » Yellow Code for Heavy Rains and Thunder in 16 Districts in Bulgaria
- » NIMH: Code Yellow Warning For Heavy Rain with Thunder and Hail
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria, Maximum Temperatures between 23°C and 28°C
- » The EC Creates an Air Fleet to Combat Fires
- » Experts Say the Ocean Level May Rise 2m by the End of the Century
- » Bear Cub Visited a Private Yard of a House in Kladnitsa, Western Bulgaria (Video)