A Regular Meeting of NATO Defense Ministers Begins
NATO Defence Ministers are meeting today (13 February 2019) to begin two days of talks on pressing security challenges, including Russia’s violation of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty. Ministers will discuss efforts to strengthen the Alliance’s deterrence and defence, and review NATO missions in Afghanistan, Kosovo, Iraq and the maritime area. Burden-sharing and NATO-EU cooperation will also be high on the agenda.
On the Bulgarian side, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense Krassimir Karakachanov attended.
The forum began with a meeting of the North Atlantic Council examining possible implications for the Alliance as a result of recent developments in the field of the INFOTRAC Treaty.
The meeting continued with a session devoted to the development of NATO's dissuasive and defensive potential, focusing on the Readiness Initiative, the Alliance Strengthening Concept and the progress in accelerating the implementation of the South Framework. Defense Ministers have adopted new policy guidelines for the goals and priorities of the next NATO defense planning cycle.
The first day of the meeting ended with a working dinner where defense ministers discussed the issue of fair sharing of the burden and responsibilities in the Alliance. Progress has been discussed to meet the commitment to investment in defense.
During the working dinner, the commitment of the Republic of Bulgaria to achieve the parameters for defense investments, as agreed in Wales in 2014, was re-affirmed and set out in the Government's Defense Plan by 2024.
- » North Macedonia Says Police Prevent 'Terrorist Act'
- » The Traditional Munich Security Meeting Continues With the Participation of the Bulgarian PM
- » A Swedish Computer Program Recognizes Potential Terrorists
- » Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov Will Take Part in the Munich Security Conference
- » Sofia Hosts an International Cyber Security Conference (Video)
- » Bulgarian Head of State Will Look at the Annual Analysis of the Armed Forces