Bulgarian State Redeems Portrait of Prince Batenberg for 22,500 Euros at Auction in Vienna
We paid EUR 18,000 for the portrait of Alexander of Battenberg, Minister of Culture Boil Banov told Nova TV, referring to the purchase made by the Bulgarian government of a portrait and valuable items belonging to the first prince of modern autonomous Bulgaria, Alexander I of Battenberg, at an auction organised by an auction house in Vienna.
"I personally took part [in the auction]. Everything had to be kept secret, the prices could have tripled and quadrupled, had it been known that the Bulgarian state was participating,”
The items in question include a unique portrait of Alexander I, and three silver trays gifted to him by residents of Ruse, Lovech and Berkovitsa on the occasion of his ascending the Bulgarian throne.
Minister Banov said the items will be transported to Bulgaria under a special regime and will be placed on public display.
- » Bulgarian Wins Best Actress Award at Sarajevo Film Festival
- » Apple is Turning Big Cities’ Streets into Art with Augmented Reality
- » Half of Bulgarians Like Local Pop Folk Music Chalga
- » The National Costume Festival in Zheravna Begins
- » Spice Music Festival - 90`s Edition Coming in August to Burgas
- » N.Y’s Kalafatis Teams With Bulgaria’s Nu Boyana for Greek Venture