Bulgarian State Redeems Portrait of Prince Batenberg for 22,500 Euros at Auction in Vienna
We paid EUR 18,000 for the portrait of Alexander of Battenberg, Minister of Culture Boil Banov told Nova TV, referring to the purchase made by the Bulgarian government of a portrait and valuable items belonging to the first prince of modern autonomous Bulgaria, Alexander I of Battenberg, at an auction organised by an auction house in Vienna.
"I personally took part [in the auction]. Everything had to be kept secret, the prices could have tripled and quadrupled, had it been known that the Bulgarian state was participating,”
The items in question include a unique portrait of Alexander I, and three silver trays gifted to him by residents of Ruse, Lovech and Berkovitsa on the occasion of his ascending the Bulgarian throne.
Minister Banov said the items will be transported to Bulgaria under a special regime and will be placed on public display.
- » Antistatic International Festival for Contemporary Dance and Performance
- » On 17 and 18 May, Burgas will Host a Two-day Festival Dedicated to South Korean Culture
- » 70 Documentaries Will be Projected During This Year's Edition of Master of Art Festival
- » The Performance "A Simple Space" on Bulgarian Stage
- » Cultural Heritage tour Presented to Mark Sofia’s 140th Anniversary as Capital of Bulgaria
- » Exhibition of Works by Bulgarian Artists Opened at the University in Istanbul