Bulgarian Defence Committee Approved Negotiating Mandate for Acquiring F-16 Aircrafts
The Bulgarian Parliament’s defence committee approved on January 15 the government proceeding for a start of negotiations with the United States on acquiring F-16 fighter jets, reports BNT.
The committee vote was held a day before the Parliament will vote on the mandate for the government to hold negotiations with the US on getting the aircarfts.
Volya party did not support the decision because they are opposed to the modernisation projects of the army. The opposition Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP) did not agree to give negotiating mandate to the government under an unclear financial framework.
The cabinet said the US could deliver 8 aircrafts for just over $ 1.8 billion, but it is unclear how much more. The BSP has calculated that the amount will reach BGN 2.5 billion. In addition, they disagree with the fact that the aircraft will not be delivered within 24 months of signing the contract.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian PM Borissov and the Minister of Defense Attended the Celebration of the Plovdiv Garrison
- » See Which European Countries are Opening Their Borders Today
- » Turkey Declared 20 km Border near Bulgaria for a Prohibited Military Zone
- » Law Changes in Bulgaria: 3 Years of Imprisonment , Fine to 10,000 BGN for Anyone Who Violates Rules against COVID-19
- » Minister Karakachanov: The United States has Given Bulgaria $87 Million for Military Equipment
- » Expert: The NRA Data Leak Have Attracted the Attention of Hackers from around the World