Bulgarians Celebrate Saint Nicholas Day
The Days of St Nicholas (Nikola), the patron of fisherman, sailors, merchants and bankers, is being marked nationwide by Orthodox Christians in Bulgaria on Sunday, December 06.
Known as Nikulden, it is also a special day for anyone named Nikolay, Nikola, Nikolina, Nikoleta, Neycho, Kolyo and many others - which means at least a couple of thousand Bulgarians.
All (or most) of these normally use the occasion to invite family members, relatives, or friends to their home to have fish for lunch or dinner. Stuffed carp is considered to be the traditional choice; and the table has to be richly laid, given the Bulgarian custom that if someone is celebrating their name day, others may come to their home uninvited.
Nikulden, however, is even a more special day in Bulgaria's annual festive calendar: in practice anyone may invite over lunch or dinner without bearing the name Nikoleta or Nikola.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 593 COVID-19 Infected, Another Death Case
- » BRC: A Chinese Company has Provided 150,000 Protective Masks
- » A 48-Year-Old Bulgarian with Suspected Coronavirus Infection Died in Spain
- » Code Yellow Warning of Rough Seas Issued for the Coastal Area of Burgas Region
- » Jack Dorsey, Co-Founder of Twitter Donates $ 1 Billion from his Personal Wealth to Help Fight COVID-19
- » Bulgaria Allocates nearly BGN 200,000 to Help Albania Recover from the Earthquake