Huawei is Working on its Own Voice Assistant to Rival Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
Huawei is working on its own voice assistant that works outside of China, potentially pitting it against software produced by Google and Amazon, according to CNBC.
In China, Huawei has its own voice assistant called Xiaoyi which operates in its smart speaker called the AI Cube and its smartphones. But it is only for the Chinese market.
“We are using our own in China, in (the) future we will also have our own outside of China,” Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei’s consumer business, told CNBC in an exclusive interview.
“In the beginning, we are mainly using Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa” for its AI Cube and smartphones, he said. “We need more time to build our AI (artificial intelligence) services ... Later we will expand this outside of China.”
The CEO made clear that it will continue working in partnership with both Amazon and Google. However, any step outside China could put it in direct competition with the two U.S. tech giants, both of which have their voice assistants integrated with various hardware.
Reached by CNBC, Google declined to comment. Amazon was not immediately available for comment.
Yu did not say what language the voice assistant would use outside of China, nor when it would be available.
Voice is seen by consumer technology companies as a key way for users to interact with products, particularly “smart” internet-connected gadgets. Many of the speakers on the market like the Amazon Echo or Huawei’s AI Cube are seen as a hub in the home that connects to appliances that can be controlled by voice.
- » EU Online Gambling Landscape - Changes to Expect in 2019
- » Chinese Company Secures USD 135.5 Million for Bulgarian Port Project
- » Expert: Electricity Prices will Increase by 15% if KEVR Approves CEZ Proposal
- » Projects of over 4,600 Bulgarian Households under the Gasification Program have been Implemented
- » Bulgarian Tobacco Growers Received over BGN 80 Million
- » Amazon Closes its Online Shopping Platform in China